Sunday, January 10, 2010

Was It Worth It?

It is 7:39a on Saturday, January 9th and I've been up for about 2 hours.  I am awake because I have been taking pain meds for about 18 hours and I never sleep well on these things.  Good news is I'll be in and out all day, so I'll get enough rest.

So, I had surgery yesterday.  It went something like this:

Around 9:15a, I walk into the women's day surgery at the hospital and look for someone to check me in at one of the check-in booths.  This is where I stumble upon Jan who is quietly napping.   It makes me smile...it's cold outside (the coldest it's been in Dallas in years), and I don't blame her for taking this opportunity to embrace cozy.  If I had my way, I would be at home doing the same thing.  I whisper hello, and she sits up, slightly embarrassed.  She's a funny lady with a raspy, cigarette smoking voice (reminds me of myself about 6 months ago).  She's quite proficient in her job and we toss some witty banter back and forth as she clicks away on her keyboard.  Then...she drops the bomb!  'You have to pay $1,900 today.  Since its January, your deductible and out-of-pocket expenses have started over so that is what you owe today.'  Being the first time I've been told this, I said 'Jan, I didn't bring that kind of money with me today.  No one told me I had to pay anything today.  I signed something saying whatever my insurance doesn't cover, I promise to pay.'  She was great about it.  She said they would just bill us and proceeded to show me to my room.

Next I met Mabel.  I believe she was middle eastern or something along those lines.  A very sweet soul with a wonderful demeanor.  She picked the perfect profession.  Maybe that's why she's so nice because she loves what she does.  She even told me I should consider being a nurse.  'I have 'smell' issues,' I said.  She smiled.

Next came the anesthesiologist and his assistant.  He was witty and friendly and so was his counterpart.  He put in an IV and proceeded to give me the 'margarita' shot.  At this point, all was ok.  Well...for me.  Hubby told me later it was tough watching me be wheeled away.  One of our biggest fears and things we talked about prior to the surgery is that some people don't respond well to anesthesia and pass away during their procedure.  This had me freaked out up until the day of surgery, wherein this is when my husband began to feel it. Bless his heart.  Thank goodness his mother and my sister were there.

Anyway, next thing I remember I wake up to Ginger giving me an anti-nausea shot.  I was in pain..just a little...and she said I would get my pain pill once I get to my room.  She took me down the hall and as promised, gave me a pain pill.  I asked for my husband twice and he, mom and my sister finally came in. My sister brought a card and a little gift..that was sweet.  They stayed long enough to give me the good news.  There is no blockage in/of my fallopian tubes.  I had a cyst from the last round of drugs, which my doctor drained or lanced or whatever it is they do to those things.  She also mentions to my husband I have a bit of endometriosis but nothing to worry about.  This concerns me.  Endometriosis can be a serious problem.  I don't like having a little bit of any problem in my body.  I will get all the details next week at my post-op.  I think it's time WD2 and I had a heart-to-heart as to my expectations.

Anyway, I was told I couldn't leave until I was able to urinate, so my honey bought me a bottled water and Ginger gave me a Sprite, which I drank quickly so I could go home.  Little did I know, drinking the water/Sprite while having my 3rd IV wasn't the wisest thing.  Every time I stood up, I became nauseous.  Ginger gave me another anti-nausea shot and it subsided.

Finally, I was able to use the restroom so we quickly packed up our stuff and headed out.  As we were driving through the parking lot, the nausea kicked back in.  As we pulled on to the main road, I said, 'pull over!'  Up came the water and Sprite.  Nothing else, just those two things.  I chalked it up to having too much fluid in my throat/stomach.

I came home and as I put on my jammies, I surveyed my battle wounds.  Not bad!  She made an incision inside my belly button, which you can't even see.  I have another small incision (less than 1/2 an inch) down by my bikini line.  Neither hurt too much...it's the incisions inside my tummy that I feel the most.

Anyway, I am thrilled at the outcome.  Was it worth it?  You bet your buns!  Now we can proceed and hopefully by my 40th birthday, really have something to celebrate.

As always, thanks for stopping by!  I will keep you posted!

4 comments:

  1. Yippeeee!!! Next stop...long nights in for you and Arfer***all by yourself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am also getting ready to take shots and I also just started a blog about it because I had to do something with all the thoughts in my head. Nice to know that I am not alone!

    http://insearchofourchild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was referred to you by Samantha Smith (a good friend of mine). My husband and I are going through the process too and I will be having a hysteroscopy and then laparoscopy probably next week. Thank you for posting your experience. Mine is very similar and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Rox! That is such great news. Do they know why the dye wasn't able to get into your tubes during the other procedure?

    ReplyDelete